Map of Pizzas


View Pizza Club in a larger map

Saturday, July 10, 2010

Feraro's Jersey Style Pizza

Coming to the Midwest from the Northeast five years ago, I didn't believe St. Louis understood anything about "real" pizza, let alone "good" pizza, until Pizza Club took a trip to Soulard and ate at Feraro's Jersey Style. The [all mozzarella] cheese was gooey, the crust was soft but firm, and a large pizza was larger than 15". What more could you want?

I grew up with a healthy balance of both New York and New Jersey styles of pizza, because I lived in Connecticut and spent some weeks of the summer at the Jersey shore. There is a distinct difference between the two. Both pies are large and circular with slices cut in a wedge. Both are thin, but New York is slightly thinner. Jersey style has a sweeter sauce that's less tangy than that of New York. In the end, both are completely worthwhile in their own rights--it just depends on what you're in the mood for. I hadn't tasted Jersey style pizza this delicious and authentic since the last time I was on the Ocean City, NJ boardwalk. According to Feraro's website, they are run by a mother-son team with a lot of pizzeria experience and ties back to the Garden State. I've only eaten at the Soulard location, but they also have a place in South County.

I can't stress enough how good this pizza is. Since Pizza Club first visited, I've gone back countless times. For once, pizza is not the first thing I ask for when I visit the East Coast, because my pizza craving has finally been satisfied in St. Louis.

No comments:

Post a Comment